Sunday 5 October 2014

Ganesh Chaturthi

Ganesh Chaturthi is a grand Hindu festival in India, celebrated in honour of Lord Ganesha. Ganesh is a hindu elephant headed god.  Ganesh removes all obstacles to people if they pray to him.  Ganesh Chaturthi usually comes during August  - September, and celebrated over 10 days. 

People bring Ganesh idols and statues to their homes, made of mud.  They keep it for 1 or 3 or 10 days at home, they do pooja (prayers) every day by offering lot of flowers, fruits, coconut, and Indian sweets. 

Luckily this year I was in India to celebrate it on the 29th august.  I also brought a mud Ganesh home.  Here are pictures of what I did.
This is a picture of how we decorated Ganesh and kept for 3 days.
Normally people immerse the Ganesh idols in a water body on the last day like ponds, lakes, wells, oceans, seas, rivers etc.

I immersed my Ganesh idol in the Bay of Bengal ocean which is really near my home in India.

Here are some pictures that me and my father found in the internet about huge Ganesh idols immersion from other places in India.

20 comments:

  1. Shriya, thank you so much for this post!

    It's really interesting to hear about Ganesh Chaturthi! It's something that most of us know about and you've given us a really good account of it!

    This is our first post from one of the Year 4 children this year! And well done for adding a picture and labels too!

    I hope that you and your family have obstacles removed this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mr Gregg.I was trying to upload two more pictures but I could 'nt. I will try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. If you still can't, email them to me or Mrs Baldwin, and one of us will add them for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mr Gregg. My dad helped me now with the pictures.

      Delete
  4. Its very interesting, Shria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also the statiue looks ausom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good! Shriya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was interesting. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing festival this is. So colourful and full of lovely things. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the pictures Shriya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures are very beautiful. I especially like the one that has the decorated Ganesh:).

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!!!!
    That is good

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pictures are good
    Leonie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is quite interesting Shriya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank You Everybody!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your presentation Shriya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your post shriya.it's very interestingand I really like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete